Black and white is bright


Are black and white photos better and more expressive than color photos?

Black and white is bright.

This rhyme entered my mind while shoveling snow this morning.
Is it stupid or clever?
It is quite a paradox, at least.

Banality in beauty or beauty in banality?
Which one do you prefer?

In general, black and white are rather plain colors and terms, whereas bright can mean many things:
light, shiny, radiant, brilliant, brisk, vivid, cheerful, alert, intelligent. On the color spectrum bright is associated with red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, magenta.

Colors themselves can be beautiful and banal at the same time. This doesn’t only refer to black and white, it refers to every color. It all depends where the colors are and how and in what kind of situation they have an effect on us.

Color is a distraction! It takes our attention from the crucial things away.
Black and white is a simplification! It doesn’t take the complexity of life into consideration.
These are the two arguments.

My morning was quiet, still dim. Some birds were picking the grain we had left for them. The white tops of the fir trees surrounding our garden were gently moving in the wind. The grey sky didn’t make a big difference to the white snow all around me.
I enjoyed being in my own thoughts, undisturbed by anything.

Suddenly everything lit up. A narrow stripe of the rising sun appeared in the eastern sky bathing a massive part of it in strong colors of yellow, orange, red. The initial grey of the sky had turned into blue.
I regretted having left my camera inside, but felt reluctant to get it anyway.
You are not the only one taking a photo of this beautiful morning.
Many others will do the same, and much better than you. What difference does it make in the end who the pictures takes and for whom?

Keep on enjoying the things you do and see: the morning, the sky, the sun, the trees, the birds…
Be bright! Be happy! Throw your black winter clothes away! Spring is in the air.
It is true. Yes, but I still want to enjoy the winter for some time, at least as long as I can and want it myself.

My eyes fell on the intricate patterns on the old window panes of our greenhouse, conjured by the frost. Clear daylight gave them a beauty now I hadn’t noticed before.
I started getting restless again.
You can’t be lazy or inside on a day like this! You must go out, walk, ski!

Distracted by color.
Delighted by the sun.

Deactivated by the white.
Quietened by the snow.

However, a black and white or a color photo? I still can't say which one I like more.
Like it is true with so many other things.
It depends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Living and walking around

We walk streets, forests and fields being under the influence of our thoughts and the things around us. Our thoughts are as versatile as...